Areas of Concentration
International Trade and Finance Law
International Arbitration and Litigation
Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Business and Corporate Law
Energy, Oil and Gas Law
Aerospace & Defense Law
Mergers and Acquisitions
Regulatory and Compliance
Reorganization, Restructuring and Bankruptcy
Year Admitted to the Bar: 1993
Scope of Practice
Dr. John J. Maalouf, Senior Partner of Wall Street law firm Maalouf Ashford & Talbot, LLP, is one of America's most preeminent lawyers and is a globally recognized expert in the areas of International Trade and Finance Law, International Arbitration, Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate Bankruptcy, Reorganization and Restructuring, Business Litigation, Corporate Law, Banking Law, Aerospace & Defense Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, Energy, Oil and Gas Law, and Intellectual Property Law.
Under John's leadership, Maalouf Ashford & Talbot has been honored as "Law Firm of the Year" in the United States, Dubai, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Egypt, Qatar, Bahrain, Morocco, Jordan, China, the United Kingdom, and Brazil for 2022 in 92 different categories. In addition, John has been ranked as one of the Top 10 International Trade & Finance Lawyers in the United States for the past 16 consecutive years by the United States Lawyer Rankings - 2022 Edition, 2021 Edition, 2020 Edition, 2019 Edition, 2018 Edition, 2017 Edition, 2016 Edition, 2015 Edition, 2014 Edition, 2013 Edition, 2012 Edition, 2011 Edition, 2010 Edition, 2009 Edition, 2008 Edition, 2007 Edition and 2006 Edition.
Bars and Courts - First admitted to the Bar in 1993
New York State Bar
Massachusetts State Bar
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (U.S. Federal Court)
U.S. Court of International Trade
Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) Courts - Full Right of Audience
In addition to being one of the world's leading lawyers, Dr. Maalouf is also an International Arbitrator with the following Courts of International Arbitration and International Arbitration Centers:
American Arbitration Association, International Center for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)
Abu Dhabi Global Markets Arbitration Centre (ADGM)
International Chamber of Commerce, International Court of Arbitration (ICC)
Saudi Center for Commercial Arbitration (SCCA)
New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC)
BVI International Arbitration Centre (BVI IAC)
Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA - The Hague, The Netherlands)
Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (ACICA)
Vancouver International Arbitration Centre (VanIAC)
GCC Arbitration Centre (Bahrain)
Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB)
Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
As an International Arbitrator, Dr. Maalouf has over 18 years of experience deciding large international commercial disputes between multinational companies around the world.
Bachelors of Science (Economics), Boston University, 1990
Juris Doctor, Suffolk University School of Law, 1993
LL.M. (International Banking and Financial Services Law), Boston University School of Law, 1994
While in law school, John received the American Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence and was on the Dean’s List.
Recent Representative Transactions
▪ Representing Fortune 50 Company based in the United States in connection with a large international arbitration
before the Dubai International Arbitration Centre.
▪ Representing a major U.S. based company in connection with setting up a 100% foreign owned entity in Saudi Arabia.
▪ Representing a telecommunications company in a LCIA arbitration against an Indian company arising out of an investment dispute valued
in excess of US$860 million;
▪ Representing a Dubai based entity in a DIFC/LCIA arbitration involving the misappropriation of confidential and proprietary information in
the technology industry.
▪ Representing a major U.S. energy company in an ICC arbitration involving a power plant in Brazil;
▪ Representing a major U.S. based electronics company in connection with the acquisition of a competitor with annual sales of over
▪ Representing a major U.S. energy company in an AAA/ICDR arbitration involving an oil transportation system and processing facility.
▪ Representing Fortune 100 Company based in the United States in connection with structuring international joint ventures.
▪ Representing a Hong Kong-based shipping company in an AAA/ICDR arbitration, including obtaining a preliminary injunction in aid of
arbitration from a New York court.
▪ Representing Fortune 50 Company based in Switzerland in connection with multiple ongoing legal matters.
▪ Representing a large power plant in Indonesia in an arbitration before the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
against its principal coal supplier for breach of an exclusive fuel supply contract.
▪ Representing Fortune 100 Company based in Switzerland in connection with regulatory and compliance matters.
▪ Representing an EU based technology company in a €475 million LCIA arbitration involving an intellectual property dispute
over the failure to properly protect proprietary information.
▪ Representing a UAE based oil & gas company in connection with numerous large transactions.
▪ Representing Fortune 500 company headquartered in Switzerland in connection with an international arbitration in Qatar.
▪ Representing a Dubai based entity in connection with a large commercial arbitration before the British Virgin Islands
International Arbitration Centre.
▪ Representing a Fortune 100 company headquartered in Switzerland in connection with numerous matters involving UAE, Saudi Arabian,
Qatari, Bahraini and Omani law.
▪ Represented a large Saudi Arabian company in connection with a US$165 million merger & acquisition transaction.
▪ Represented Hong Kong based iron-ore trading company in connection with numerous international transactions worth in excess
of US$250 million.
▪ Represented a major U.S. chemicals company in its acquisition of the textile chemicals division of an EU-based competitor, division having
annual sales of approximately US$1.6 billion and eleven manufacturing facilities.
▪ Represented western oil and gas company in connection with the construction of offshore drilling platforms and related facilities in the South
▪ Represented a Hedge Fund and Investment Advisor in setting up both domestic and offshore Funds using a Master-Feeder Structure for tax
▪ Represented an Indian Real Estate Investment Fund based in connection with a US$560 million land use development project.
▪ Represented a China based telecommunications company in connection with the US$275 million acquisition of a U.S. based company.
▪ Represented a Canadian chartered bank in connection with a credit facility extended to an electronic transaction processing organization,
secured in Canada, the US, UK and Australia.
▪ Represented a Fortune 500 company based in the US in connection with World Trade Organization issues in multiple countries in Africa.
▪ Represented an international energy company in the US$1.2 billion sale of its energy operations in Western Africa, including gas concessions
and a natural gas processing facility.
▪ Represented a European bank in a US$200 million cross-boarder financing of project in northern Russia.
▪ Represented a Saudi Arabian bank in an arbitration concerning a dispute relating to US$180 million shariah-compliant convertible
murabaha facility made available to MENA region company.
▪ Represented a Russian oil company in connection with an US$80 million dispute involving a Chinese shipping company.
Affiliations & Accomplishments
Dr. Maalouf is a Member of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the United States Council for International Business (USCIB). The USCIB participates directly in the rule-making process in Washington D.C., and in international organizations such as the United Nations and its agencies, the International Labor Organization (ILO) and the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Dr. Maalouf is a Member of the Arbitration, Banking, Customs & Trade, and Investment Committees of the USCIB.
Dr. Maalouf is also an Executive Member of the Oil Council, an international organization dedicated to advancing the interests of the oil & gas industry worldwide.
Among his other accomplishments, John is highly regarded as one of the world's leading experts in cross border transactions involving China, and is co-author of the book "Inside the Minds: Best Practices for Mergers and Acquisitions in China" (2011) published by Thomson West, (Aspatore) the world's most respected name in legal publishing.
John is fluent in English and conversant in Arabic.
CNN Interview with Dr. John J. Maalouf
John is fluent in English and conversant in Arabic.
CNN Interview with Dr. John J. Maalouf
Al Arabiya Interview with Dr. John J. Maalouf (2019)
Al Arabiya Interview with Dr. John J. Maalouf (2020) on U.S. Trade Sanctions